Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Windows RT can't be dead because it was never alive

When the whole Surface line was originally announced I found myself in many debates about Windows RT. Even very well read geeks had a hard time grasping (only momentarily of course) that the Surface would in fact have two flavors ... Windows RT and Windows 8.

  • Windows RT would not run Windows applications
  • Windows RT could not run the full version of Office
  • Windows RT software was only available from the Windows Store ... since legacy apps didn't work, the selection was sparse to say the least
  • Windows RT doesn't work with Windows Media Center
  • Active Directory authentication? No

It simply didn't make any sense. Windows RT offers absolutely nothing over Windows 8 except longer battery life. Honestly, I could care less about Windows. But if you did like Windows, there's absolutely no reason to buy a Surface RT. But Surface RT is cheap? Correct, because it's useless - a Microsoft OS without access to the Microsoft ecosystem. If you really want an RT device just be patient, the prices have been falling and they'll continue to do so.

So, here's Microsoft strategy in nutshell:

  • Update a desktop OS and build a touch OS, smash them together = Windows 8
  • Launch your own hardware that has:
    • The new frankenstein OS 
    • The new frankenstein OS without the features people who buy Windows machines are actually looking for 
I see more Macs than I do Windows 8 machines. I've never been able to say that about any previous Microsoft OS. While it's obviously anecdotal, that's my reality and I expect I'm not alone. 

RT was never alive. So, yes it's dead. Here's a better question, is Windows 8 terminal? I certainly feel sorry for anyone who has it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment