Monday, July 29, 2013

What are we so afraid of?


Adults are much better at make believe than children. Our stories are more elaborate, the consequences more severe, circumstances more dire and most importantly - rational completely impenetrable.

It is shockingly rare to sit down with someone and have them say they're doing exactly what they want to be doing. Most people are politically correct, they "like" their jobs as they "like" going to the doctor - "work" is the medicine they know is good for them. Why are we so afraid to design our day, to take control?

"What if I fuck up?" That's what we fear. The moment has come, or will come, when we make the biggest mistake of our life. We will feel many emotions but the most important thing is not what we did (that moment is gone) but what we do next - how do we handle the moments we do have? Life happens one moment at a time - NOW is the only moment under our control.

The top 5 regrets of those reaching the end of their journey on Earth?
  1. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
  2. I wish I didn't work so hard.
  3. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
  4. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
  5. I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Those all look the same to me, a regret of not taking ownership/acknowledgement to create your own path in life. Create. Create. Create. We too often forget, we are the only person doing the creation in our minds (or that our mind might need help). We certainly do create, but rather than create our moments we resort to make believe. I would do what I wanted but ...

But what? Seriously. You'll find a way. You'll make it work. You always have.

You don't know where to start? Well then, at least you're on the right track. New paths don't have a starting point - you're creating one, that's the whole point. It doesn't matter if it's the right start or not, the action of starting is infinitely more important than the how/what/where/why.

Would you trade your last day on earth for money or stuff? "No way!" Yet too often we seem perfectly happy to trade every other day on earth for all kinds of crap.
To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde
 Scarcity drives value. Time is the scarcest of all resources.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment